Saturday, September 22, 2007

It can happen so fast...

We were at a party today and the Monkey was playing in the pool. He's become much more adventurous in the water lately - unfortunately his swimming skills don't necessarily match that adventurousness. I could tell he was trying to swim over to look into the filter by holding on to the edge. I turned around to talk to Ann for a moment, and when I looked back the Monkey was in the middle of the water, kicking his legs as hard as he could, his head going under.

Looking back, I realized that the first thing that went through my mind was a realization that I hadn't been looking away long enough for him to be in serious trouble. Then, embarassingly enough, I recall doing a quick analysis of what was in my pockets that would be lost by jumping into the water (my cell phone and two key fobs). At that point I realized I was gonna have to get a little wet. I ended up jumping down onto a step up to my knees and pulling him out. He coughed up a little water but overall was fine. Scared the poop out of Ann and me.

Two lessons from tonight. Don't even look away for a minute - at this age they can get themselves into serious trouble VERY quickly. And second, make sure you've checked in with your spouse on who's responsible for watching the kid. These are the moments you hear about on the news when the dad says, "I thought SHE was watching them!" In this case, I knew I was the one watching him, but if I'd stepped inside for a bit or been distracted for any length of time, it could've been too late.

I cuddled up with him a little longer during bedtime tonight. And apologized profusely to Ann.

No comments: