Friday, August 22, 2008

Precision mechanics

Some of you may remember a post I made several months ago telling about my project of fixing up my Papa's watch. After the Fuji climb, I decided to send my Citizen in for a cleaning. I figured being exposed to volcanic ash, essentially powdered glass, couldn't be good for it. Anyway, while the Citizen is away, I'm wearing the Bulova. I decided it would be a good time to figure out just how precise it is.

I set the watch at exactly 9:16 pm with our radio-set clock as the reference. Due to the way the watch is set, I'm not able to control the second hand. I'm not sure if this is a flaw or how the watch is designed. Either way, the watch started off being 13 seconds behind. Every morning I wound it tight and then wore it like normal during the day. After exactly three days, I referenced the watch against the clock again. The watch had gained two minutes, twelve seconds in three days. That means it's fast by 44 seconds a day, meaning it's fast by about 0.017%.

I know nothing about watches, but I'm pretty impressed that an approximately 40-year old mechanical watch can be off by 0.017%.

No comments: