Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pet peeves

  • “Its” is a possesive pronoun. Example: “I took its candy and ate it while it cried.”
  • “It’s” is a contraction of “it is.” Example: “It’s not fair that I took its candy, but such is life.”
  • “Your” is a possesive pronoun. Example: “Give me your candy.”
  • “You’re” is a contraction of “you are.” Example: “You’re going to give me your candy or you’re going to receive a sound beating.”
  • “There” is used like “here.”
  • “Their” means “it belongs to them.”
  • “They’re” is a contraction of “they are.”
  • “i.e.” is an abbreviation of the Latin “id est,” meaning “that is.”
  • “e.g.” is an abbrevation of the Latin “exempli gratia,” meaning “for example.”
  • These two terms are not interchangeable.
  • “Thou” is a second-person prounoun, equivalent to “you,” but not when used as a direct object. Use it as you would use “I.” “Thou took my candy” is correct. “I took the candy from thou” is not correct. For that case you would use:
  • “Thee.” Equivalent to you when used as a direct object. Use it as you would use “me.” “I took the candy from thee” is correct.
  • “Thy” is a possesive pronoun, equivalent to “your.”

2 comments:

Scooter said...

You sound like you need some coffee this morning. Its OK, your alright, Their, Their, you will be OK. You should remember steeling (HAHA) candy is not OK and neither is giving someone a beatdown.

By the way, this might be a bad joke but I had fun with it anyway.

Rob said...

I couldn't agree more. The it's/its mistake is one that is common even on magazine covers and such.

On the other hand, the more I obsess about these things the more agitated I get. It doesn't seem to bother the perpetrators at all!