Saturday, April 4, 2009

Pipe cleaners

When I was a kid and we used pipe cleaners for projects, I have to confess that I always wondered why it was called that. I mean, obviously it was used for cleaning pipes, but I thought they meant the water pipes in my house. I never could figure out how this flimsy little thing was supposed to be used for cleaning pipes.



"Ma'am, it looks like you've got a dead cat stuck in your toilet. But don't worry, I have all the necessary tools right here."

It wasn't until much later (like, mid-20s?) that I figured out what "pipe cleaner" really meant. Now I find out that they're changing the name. Ann has informed me that on two separate occasions she has seen them referred to as "chenille stems." There are only a couple reasons I can think of why they would change the name:

  • Kids can't figure out what "pipe cleaner" means. I myself am a living example of this. But who cares? That's not what it's being used for anyway. And if you're a kid smoking a pipe using material you picked up at Hobby Lobby, then you make me sad for multiple reasons. Do you think a kid is going to be able to figure out what "chenille stem" means? I'm a grownup and am not even sure what "chenille" is.
  • They're afraid of making references to pipes. Like, the smoking kind. I get political correctness. I understand that words have power and we need to be cautious in how we use them. But I doubt many kids are going to take up smoking because they made a llama out of something with a smoking reference in its name.

Although I'd be a little worried about the kid who made Aliens out of pipe cleaners, but for completely different reasons.

3 comments:

Gin said...

I never realized that I didn't know what kind of pipe these crafty little things referred to - in my nearly 27 years and many, MANY uses of these things, I have never once been tempted to smoke a pipe filled with substances legal or no. If people think that changing the name of a craft product is going to keep kids from smoking, THEY are the ones that are high.

Unknown said...

I think part of the name change is because like you said no one knows what they are supposed to be cleaning, and really when is the last time anyone actually cleaned a pipe (smoking or otherwise) with one of these things. The new crafty name is there to confuse teachers and students. I still just refer to them as the fuzzy sticks, but rarely use them in my crafting.

Stephanie said...

Ohhh I never knew that... thx :)
(i am 12 years old)