Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Written sarcasm

Sarcastic speech is an art-form largely based on body language and tone, neither of which are effectively communicated in written text. Far too often a carefully crafted biting remark is completely lost on the reader. I recently heard someone suggest that we need a font to denote sarcasm. This idea is, of course, nothing new and certainly not my own, but I offer a different take on it. Therefore in my writing I will be instituting a new standard: squiggly brackets shall henceforth border a sarcastic remark. Besides, when was the last time you used brackets for any other purpose? Examples would be:
  • I saw the report you wrote yesterday. {Good job.}
  • Your dog puked on my sweater. {Thanks for that.}
  • {I think Transformers 2 was a serious work of art.}

1 comment:

Caron said...

I saw this post via Gin Is Juiced and I LOVE IT! I'm posting about it on September 8 ... thanks for coming up with this idea!