Thursday, October 22, 2009

Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold Story of English

Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold Story of English Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold Story of English by John H. McWhorter


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Since I listened to his downloadable lecture series about linguistics earlier this year, I've enjoyed McWhorter's down-to-earth but well-informed way of communicating how language has evolved. This book focuses primarily on how the English language itself has come to be, with an emphasis on how Celtic and Norse languages influenced Old and Middle English. McWhorter is good at describing rather dry topics in ways that keep the reader engaged. I suspect this isn't the last book on this subject that'll grace my Kindle...

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

El Viejo said...

I just realized a big weakness with down loading books on reading devices like the Kindle. You can't share the books with others!!! There is a real sense of community to reading a book and loaning it to someone who you think might also enjoy it. Just a thought from someone who still gets a tactile enjoyment from books, magazines and newspapers. And, what about the displays of favorite books in one's book shelves? Long live Guttenberg!!