Monday, April 7, 2008

A parent's rights

Now that I've had kids for four years (five, if I get double-time for having TWO kids), I have one request I'd like to ask of the toy industry. It's a simple thing really, just a trifle.

Before I state my request, let me say that I understand that toys these days require batteries, and lots of them. I have invested hundreds (no, seriously, HUNDREDS) of dollars in stocking everything in my house with rechargeables so that I don't have to spend so much on batteries (yes, I'm aware of the irony). And it would be hypocritical of me to fault anyone for having battery-powered gadgetry. At any given time, chances are I'm wearing more battery-powered gizmos than most people even own. So I can appreciate that toys these days require self-sufficient power sources.

But there are two things that toy companies really need to design into their toys, beginning immediately:

1) A volume switch. My kids are not hard of hearing. At least, not yet. So why are their toys easily capable of forcing the lead singer for Metallica to wear earplugs? If the toy needs to be loud on the shelf to compete with all the other toys for attention, then have the courtesy to put a little switch on it to turn it down once I've brought it home.

2) An on/off switch. Seriously, who designs an electronic device, especially one that requires a limited battery power supply, and especially one that's too loud to begin with, without a power switch?! The kids have at least three toys that I can think of that cannot be unpowered without removing the batteries. And keep in mind that all toys these days have the battery lid screwed shut. And that's not all - these toys are even more insidious because they're motion-activated. All you have to do is walk near them and they start singing. And the toy doesn't care what time it is! "What's that? You just got both kids down for the night? You're sitting down to have some alone-time with your spouse? I feel the need to sing 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star'! And you're not gonna be able to shut me up without a screwdriver!!"

There's even one toy that, I swear to you, waits until it's in our bedroom and it's four in the morning. It will have not made a sound for days, and then, perhaps triggered by seismic shifts on the surface of Mars, it decides to serenade us. And then there's the super-sensitive toy that somehow always ends up in the back of the car. It's rendition of "Shave and a Haircut" is triggered by any jolt, such as a speed bump, stopping for a light, or a slight breeze from the northwest.

So toy manufacturers, for the sake of parents everywhere, I beg you: a volume control and a power switch.

And what the heck: throw in a pack of batteries too.

4 comments:

Rob said...

It's good of you to be so clear on the kinds of toys I need to look for. Nice loud ones, motion activated, no on/off switch. Got it. Thanks!

p.s., Any preference on lights?

Unknown said...

What I don't understand is the classics with batteries?!? Why does a sit-n-spin need a battery? Is it not enough that it makes you nauseous from spinning but it has to add lights and sounds to make it feel more like a hallucinogenic trip? Also the poppers, I saw one other day that had batteries? Really a toy that your child runs around with and makes a loud popping noise also needs a musical edge and light show to go with it? We wonder why kids today are bored after 2 minutes of things without lights and sounds.
With that said I own none of the above. In fact Joy has a minimum amount of toys with batteries. I purposely when given the choice will chose the toy without the batteries even if it's not the one I really thought I wanted it wins. I like the idea of old fashioned toys, builds the imagination and it's just more fun to sing your own songs!

Scooter said...

Things to look forward to if Chaundra and I ever have Kids. I like donna's idea of keeping the battery levels low. I guess I will deal with this kind of thing, when it comes an issue. I guess that is what the toy companies are thinking too.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Fragmentadora de Papel, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://fragmentadora-de-papel.blogspot.com. A hug.