Saturday, May 31, 2008

All hail Indy

Last weekend, Ann and I went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. First, let me say that Indiana Jones is one of my most cherished childhood memories, equivalent to Star Wars. I still remember my dad taking me to see Temple of Doom when I was 8ish years old and being completely freaked out when the head priest RIPPED OUT THE GUY'S STILL BEATING HEART! I also remember my dad taking me to see The Last Crusade on our first furlough back to the US.

So, yeah, they could've very easily messed with my nostalgia. But it was okay. It was acceptable. It wasn't a religious experience, but they didn't completely screw it up. Here are some of the cons:
  • Indy's buddy McHale? A completely unnecssary and overdone plot concept.
  • Karen Allen has not aged well.
  • Harrison Ford HAS aged well, but he's certainly aged.
  • I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but there were too many special effects. Lucas had said they would tone down the CGI for this movie, but that was NOT the case.
  • The vine-swinging monkeys were totally dumb.
  • The end death scene was a complete let-down. It was not worty of Raiders face-melting scene.

Now for the good stuff:

  • Shia LaBeouf was really good. He could've completely overdone the role, but I thought it was well-played.
  • The special effects, while overdone, were really good.
  • I am now completely creeped out by ants.
  • All the chase sequences were awesome. Spielberg's still got it.

Bottom line: go see it. It's easily as good or better than any other movie out right now (although Prince Caspian and Iron Man are both awesome too).

1 comment:

T said...

We pretty much thought the same thing about Indiana Jones--we are huge fans and loved Indy in this and loved Shia L. too. Mowgli especially hated the monkeys and he and C weren't crazy about the UFO plot (I liked it). Don't be hating on Karen b/c it's a lot harder for women, especially ones who aren't even actresses anymore. : )
We also liked Prince Caspian until the singing at the end (I couldn't stand it, I was laughing hard and trying to stifle it and almost suffocated)--PLEEEEASE. But other than that, we liked it a lot.