Sunday, June 8, 2008

Oops, I did it again

Well, Vanilla Bean has developed quite the habit: pooping in the tub. She did it again the other night, for probably the tenth or fifteenth time. We've tried to understand the pattern so we can intervene early, but there doesn't seem to be one. She'd already had two dirty diapers that day and was just playing in the tub with the Monkey. One minute she's happy, sucking on some toy, and the next minute she's still happy, but surrounded by a pool of her own filth. And that's when chaos ensues.

Well, not chaos really. Ann and I have developed a well-coordinated strategy for dealing with this situation:
  • As soon as I see what's happened, I call a "Code Brown." This alerts Ann, who is usually in the other room getting the kids' pajamas ready, that we need to move into RTR (Rapid Tub Retrieval).
  • I pull Vanilla Bean out of the tub while alerting the Monkey to the situation. Before the cloud can move to his end of the tub and contaminate him, he jumps out.
  • By this point, Ann has closed in with a towel that she wraps around Vanilla Bean. She then puts her in the bathroom sink and bathes her again.
  • I deal with the Monkey. If he's managed to avoid the cloud, I dry him off and set him up doing something that will keep him busy while I move to the next step.
  • Cleanup. This is by far the worst part. Using my bare hands (a slotted spoon would work but, let's face it, would be ruined), I scoop the chunks out of the tub and into the toilet which is, mercifully, near the tub. I then drain the tub and hope that all the chunks make it down the drain.
  • I wash my hands. Five times. In scalding hot water.

Once the kids are in bed, we put all the tub toys in the dishwasher, and then at some point we have to scrub down the tub as well.

We mentioned this problem to the pediatrician. I just ASSUMED that with four years of medical school and years of experience, she'd have some sort of solution. She basically said something along the lines of, "Well, that sucks." Thanks, doc.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

one word; swim diapers.

Michelle said...

well, one phrase..

Scooter said...

Maybe I am getting too old, but I don't know if I could do that. I know it is different when it is your child, but it is bad enough having to pick up Cat throwup. I guess we will see if I ever get the chance.

Unknown said...

That is why you pay the doctor the big bucks! I am with Michelle on this one swim diapers or baths in a sink by herself.