Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Star Wars: The Force Unleashed by Haden Blackman


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
I’ve fallen out of touch a little with the Star Wars lore ever since the release of Episode III. I never really kept up too much with the post-ROTJ stuff to begin with; I read some of the books, but could never keep up with the frequent release schedule and, to be honest, what I did read wasn’t all that good. I’ve heard some positive stuff about the New Jedi Order series, but I’m hardly likely to start off on a 13-book series right now.



LucasArts has done a good job of getting me back on board with Force Unleashed. They’re selling it as completely canonical and tying together a book, graphic novel, and videogame definitely appeals to my completionist side. I decided to spoil the videogame storyline by reading the graphic novel first.



I gotta say, as graphic novels go, it wasn’t all that great. To be fair, I haven’t read all that many, but this mainly felt like a sixteen-dollar advertisement for the game which is, of course, precisely what it is. The story is not fleshed out nearly as much as I would like, the book is far too short, and the art is so-so. The action scenes are written almost as fill-in material, and it’s not always clear what’s happening on the page.



As I said before, I may end up reading the book as well, but hopefully the videogame will be a little more fulfilling.




View all my reviews.

2 comments:

T said...

OK, I agree that Vanilla Bean is the cutest (although I'll be optimistic and assume she hasn't peaked!) Still, you need to check this out: http://www.reallivepreacher.com/
Watch the video in the Tuesday, 9/2 post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.