Monday, January 26, 2009

Books for the cruise

Ann and I are going on a cruise in two weeks, sans kids (this is a vacation, not a family trip). During our last cruise, I managed to read three books cover-to-cover in seven days, so I figure that on this five-dayer I should be able to get through two pretty easily. Here's what I'm considering:
  • Joel Olsteen's Your Best Life Now. I know, I know - but here's the deal. People bag on this guy CONSTANTLY, and admittedly I do too. But to be honest, I don't really know what the guy's preaching, and it'd be interesting to know what the message is straight from his mouth. The only problem is I think I would be embarassed to be caught reading this by the pool.
  • Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope. Again, I know... but the fact of the matter is that this guy is going to be president for four to eight more years and I want to know where he's coming from without the filters of biased journalism.
  • The Last Colony. This is the third book in John Scalzi's sci-fi series, the first book of which I read on the last cruise and absolutely LOVED.

So besides these three, I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I suggest a good book cover.

Michelle said...

kudos to you for reading anything other than calvin and hobbs. i choose to be ignorant of anything else.

Anonymous said...

Some off the wall suggestions:

"A Boy's War" by David Michell, an MK of the China Inland Mission. His story of being in a Japanese concentration camp. Eric Liddell was also there. A short read.

"Boyd, The Fighter Pilot Who Changed The Art of War" by Robert Coram. Interesting insight into Air Force politics and aircraft development.

"The House on Garibaldi Street", by Isser Harel, the Israli head of their Secret Service that kidnapped Adolf Eichmann from Buenos Aires in the San Fernando area close to the Lincoln School.

"Unlocking the Sky" by Seth Shulman, a very pro Glenn Curtiss and somewhat anti-Wright Brothers book about Curtiss' contributions to the development of flight.

"The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson, a true story about a serial killer in Chicago and the guy who was responsible for the Chicago World's Fair of 1893

"I Could Never Be So Lucky Again" an autobiography by Jimmy Doolittle. Very interesting narrative about his life against the backdrop of the development of aviation and early 20th century life.

Rob said...

Well, if you're looking for stuff to do on the cruise, you could always take the kids along! :-)

OK, books then...

Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas L. Friedman is a pretty good look at the "green" side of the energy debate. Friedman wrote The World is Flat a few years back talking about the Internet phenomenon. This one is about why we need to get serious about solving our energy problems.

If you enjoyed Dune and its sequels you might enjoy some of the prequels. The first series I read was "The Legends of Dune": The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, and The Battle of Corrin. I really enjoy Kevin Anderson's writing style.

Anonymous said...

Suprised by Joy is great if you like CS Lewis books because it lets you see where the ideas came from. I assume you've read out of a silent planet? If not, that is excellent. The Chase is a good Cussler book if you haven't read it yet. Rich Mullin's biography An Arrow Pointing Towards Heaven is also really good.