Monday, October 1, 2007

All in the name of science

This Saturday I'm leaving for a week in Japan. In the interest of the biological sciences, I will be conducting an experiment on myself. I will do my best to eat a strictly Japanese diet for an entire week, and see if I gain, lose, or maintain my weight. In the interest of full disclosure, I will weigh myself on Saturday morning before I leave and post it here. During the course of the week, I will try to eat strictly Japanese, although I will probably eat a lot of it. I'll post what I'm eating, and then when I get back the following Saturday I'll re-weigh myself and post the results.

To keep it interesting I've added a poll out on the sidebar where you can vote on what you think the outcome will be.

One quick story about that. Last time I was in Japan, I got the American-style breakfast most mornings I was there. Eggs, toast, sausage, pretty normal stuff. Towards the middle of the week, I got the Japanese breakfast, thinking that'd be a cool thing to try.

Wrong.

They brought it out and it consisted of a bowl of rice, a small piece of baked fish, a bowl of miso soup, an egg in some form I've never seen (I think it was poached), and some pickled vegetables. Anyone who knows me knows I like my breakfast - this looked like some kind of cruel joke. Needless to say, breakfasts were all-American after that.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

it seems like you were just in japan - oh, wait, that was last year. have fun. :)

Jim K. said...

it's not what you eat, it's all about how much you eat. japanese eat less than most americans do. so, to be culturally correct, eat as little as they do AND eat what they eat.

oh, and the breakfast egg thing. that would be in the form of "RAW"! yes. but it is great when you crack it over the hot bowl of rice and drizzle soy sauce over it, mix it all up and eat like cereal.

have a great time. and if you see my uncle, tell him "hi". you'll see him. they all look alike anyway.

jimbo