Monday, October 8, 2007

Eating Japanese - Monday

Started off this morning with the Japanese breakfast: poached egg, rice, miso soup, baked salmon, kimchi (pickled vegetables), dried seaweed, and green tea. It also had nato beans, but that stuff is so nasty I can't eat it. Imagine a mad-scientist hybrid of soybeans and snot, and you've got something slightly less gross than nato beans.

Lunch was awesome: a noodle bowl with pork, onions, and sesame seeds, with an egg broken into it and allowed to cook. Really really good stuff, although Ann probably wouldn't like the post-meal garlic odor.

I did cheat with a French crepe with bananas and whipped cream in it mid-afternoon.

Dinner was interesting at a little hole-in-the-wall place run by what appeared to be a mom and her daughter. I had broiled ray fin. Yes, the fin of a ray.

It was served, interestingly enough, with a side of mayonnaise. It was actually quite good, very salty with a distinct ocean taste. The texture was a little strange, not meaty, but more like a soft cartilage, which I guess is what it is. The mayonnaise went really well with it, offsetting a lot of the overt saltiness.

I did find the last few bites a little tough to muscle down. A little bit of ray-fin goes a long way.

I think I'll end up getting the American breakfast tomorrow morning since it's gonna be a long day. But we may be going to the "I dare you to eat that" restaurant in the evening - that should be an experience.




1 comment:

T said...

If you're gonna eat french crepes with whipped cream, I'm changing my vote!