Sunday, November 25, 2007

City #2: Equilibria

Here's a shot of my second complete city, called Equilibria:
Equilibria is a small but incredibly diverse community. It exists solely to provide a haven for people of ANY religious persuasion to come, build their facilities of choice, and live in harmony with each other. As a result, there is every conceivable type of religious architecture represented. An example of this blend of sytles is shown in this shot of Religion Row:

In the foreground of this shot, you can see a Native American council hut on the right and a Spanish-style mission on the left. In the midground is a mosque just behind a Buddhist prayer wheel, across the street from the Buddhist monastery. Finally, in the background you'll notice a beautiful old Protestant church and a Japanese shinto pagoda.

One of the coolest buildings in Equilibria is the Catholic representative: the grand cathedral known as Our Lady of the Simulacrum:

I had to throw in this nightshot of it as well. You can't quite make out the graveyard on the right, but it's there. And it's haunted. No, seriously, it really is - ghosts, zombies, the works.
There's even a commune built a mile or so outside the city. I intended this to be a retreat - a place for those who needed to be away from the (relatively minimal) hustle and bustle of downtown Equilibria. Unfortunately, I discovered that the game mechanics don't support this idea very well. After building a couple of huts and a monastery, I found that the people living there were still having to walk to town for work and entertainment, and they didn't really seem to like that, leaving me with a handful of unhappy people. So I ended up having to build workplaces and venues in my "low-key" retreat. Nevertheless, I still think it looks cool, especially with the town (and the cathedral) in the background, so here it is:

And a couple of closing shots. First, this is my wind-powered generator facility, owned and operated by none other than BP (my wife's employer):


And finally, this neat picture of the monastery in Equilibria's Monastic District:

Next on the list of cities to create: a cyberpunk dystopian city of tomorrow! (Think The Matrix, but with less kung-fu).

3 comments:

Michelle said...

wind power? not solar power? i'm a tad disappointed...

Electric Monk said...

That's an interesting point. I think I haven't unlocked that building yet.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.