Thursday, July 24, 2008

I tried, I really did...

As you well know, I love to find and eat the weirdest stuff I can when I travel, and Japan is a great place for that. Last night I almost out-did myself: I ordered rectum at a restaurant. When I asked her for it, the waitress just shook her head. I can't tell if she was saying they didn't have it, or if she thought it was such a bad idea for me to eat it that she wouldn't serve it to me. Either way, I didn't get to try it.

I did commit one of the most embarassing international incidents yet. The food I eventually managed to order came with a dipping sauce. They brought over this enormous bowl of sauce and placed it next to me. When my food came, I dipped it into the sauce and took a bite. Delicious. I dipped my food in again and took another bite. At this point the waitress (you'll recall her English was so poor she couldn't clearly explain why I couldn't order rectum for dinner) came over and said, "One dip, okay. Two dips, no!" At that point I realized this was some sort of communal dipping pot. Imagine if they brought you a huge bowl of salsa at the Mexican place and then, when you were done, just shifted the bowl over to the next table. So I'd just double-dipped into the sauce that would end up at who knows how many other tables that evening. Stupid American...

So I closed out the evening by running by the grocery store. There I was, surrounded by all these strange and wonderful foods, and I walk out with a box of cookies, a Kit Kat, and four Diet Cokes. I hate myself.

1 comment:

Scooter said...

After all of that, I would be a little scared to order something off the wall too. Still I don't think I could bring myself to eat rectum. Kudos for trying though.